Free Email Updates
Katherine is a recent graduate from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo where she studied International Business and French. She is currently working at a private equity firm in the San Francisco Bay Area. Katherine loves to travel, and recently spent her summer volunteering in Mauritius.
I work in Advertising Operations at Zillow, but LOVE microfinance. I'm always interested in startups, especially non-profits, reach out to me if you're working on anything cool!
Jason is from Bellingham, Massachusetts, a small suburb between Providence and Boston. He is currently enrolled as an undergraduate student majoring in international business at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. After working in the commercial and personal loan industry he became interested in microfinancing. When Jason is not working or attending school, he is interested in Boston-based sports teams, meeting new people, and spending time with family and friends. After graduation he plans to work in the personal finance industry while earning his MBA.
Who wouldn’t want to work at Kiva, one of the coolest non-profits out there? Looks like Kiva is hiring a few positions on the business side of things:
“Chief Financial Officer
About the Job:
Kiva is looking for a Chief Financial Officer (CFO). S/he will provide stability and strategic guidance to the growing Kiva team. S/he will play a central role in the continued growth of the organization. In addition to overseeing the financial health of the organization, the CFO will be responsible for maintaining a strong financial foundation as the organization grows.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Executive management: Serve as a member of Kiva’s Management team; participate in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives;
- Revenue growth: Help pioneer new business models and spot new opportunities for international expansion;
- Operations: Serve as a key leader in running the day-to-day infrastructure of Kiva, with potential to move into a COO role in the future;
- Analytics: Oversee analytics team and the development of tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the organization;
- Financial planning and analysis: Complete analysis of financial results. Maintain regular financial planning reports, develop strategic and tactical recommendations. Assist in establishing yearly objectives;
- Finance: Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed. Oversee investments and asset management. Prepare revenue forecasts, monthly management reports, budget, and board reports;
- Accounting and administration: Oversee the accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems for both Kiva Microfunds and Kiva User Funds.
- Minimum of a BS, a CPA and/or MBA would be a plus;
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills;
- High growth tech experience highly preferred. Banking experience is a plus.
Community Marketing Coordinator
About the Job:
Kiva is looking for a Community Marketing Coordinator. S/he will build ongoing, permanent relationships for the purpose of applying a collective vision for the benefit of Kiva’s community. S/he will strive to build a grassroots movement with the goal of moving Kiva’s existing online communities towards positive change offline, as well.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Identify and nurture key influencers:
- Identify Kiva lenders who are key influencers in online communities, and work to build relationships with them;
- Serve as an evangelist and foster engagement for Kiva’s most active users with a goal of increased lending volume.
- Identify and engage lending team captains; Facilitate communication and collaboration between captains;
- Create regular challenges to encourage healthy competition amongst the various teams, as one of many vehicles for fostering engagement and incentivizing growth.
- Communicate regularly with Kiva’s lender community
- Plan and run quarterly Kiva insights calls;
- Monitor lending team discussion boards. Respond to questions, negative comments and requests.
- Manage improvements to lending team functionality.
- Gather feedback and take suggestions from lenders on improvements to the product;
- Create and manage special projects to deepen lender experience and facilitate increased lending and team membership.
- Facilitate community events:
- Equip lenders to host parties and gatherings by giving them the resources and support they need to be successful; Help team captains organize and coordinate these events;
- Take charge of staffing booths at events that provide an opportunity for interaction with large numbers of people.
- BA or equivalent degree required;
- Minimum 2 to 3 years volunteer management experience preferred;
- Minimum 2 to 3 years of experience managing online forum for web 2.0 company preferred;
- Demonstrated creativity and documented immersion in online forums and internet communities;
- Superior customer service orientation, both for internal and external audiences.”