Free Email Updates
Hi, I'm a finance blogger who is interested in how different financial tools, including microfinance, can deliver real value to consumers.
Kiva Small Business Advisor for the Greater Seattle area. Reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Currently a Master of Public Administration (MPA) student at Bowling Green State. University in Bowling Green, Ohio, USA. Specializing in International Development with focus on sub-Saharan Africa.
I work in Advertising Operations at Zillow, but LOVE microfinance. I'm always interested in startups, especially non-profits, reach out to me if you're working on anything cool!
Published By Jerry Ostradicky on November 21, 2012
“About the Organization:
Root Capital is a nonprofit social investment fund that grows rural prosperity in poor, environmentally vulnerable places in Africa and Latin America by lending capital, delivering financial training, and strengthening market connections for small and growing agricultural businesses. Its clients include associations and private businesses that help create sustainable livelihoods by aggregating the products of thousands of farmers. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru, Kenya, and Senegal.
About the Job:
Root Capital is seeking an Accounting Manager who will be responsible for the timely and accurate full cycle accounting for the Cambridge office and for assisting with the external audit and IRS Form 990. The incumbent will oversee Cambridge payroll and bank accounts and will ensure the accuracy of the notes payable sub-ledger, including monitoring Root Capital compliance with financial loan covenants.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Manage the full cycle accounting function for Cambridge, including loans receivable, notes payable, accounts receivable/payable and general ledger on Intacct accounting software;
- Serve as functional expert on Intacct accounting software. With assistance from others, perform upgrades and enhancements;
- Manage accounting for Cambridge payroll and staff benefit programs;
- Assist with implementation of accounting transactions for hedging and foreign currency activity;
- Manage bank accounts and cash flow;
- Assist with preparation and distribution of Financial Statements;
- Assist with coordination of the external audit and Form 990 by providing requested information on a timely basis;
- Implement financial policies and procedures as needed or directed, including updating accounting manuals;
- Assist staff on accounting issues related to interdepartmental transfers, loans, procedures, etc;
- Training and supervision of staff accountant.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, Master degree is desired;
- At least 6 years of related experience;
- Experience with non profit accounting;
- Experience with multi-currency transaction processing;
- Experience with implementing or enhancing accounting software;
- Advanced Excel skills;
- Organized and good at multitasking in a fast-paced environment;
- Collaborative team player;
- Self motivated;
- Strong interpersonal skills, high degree of interface with other staff;
- Ability to trouble-shoot routine situations and manage tasks independently;
- Must be authorized to work in the US.”
Source: Microfinance Gateway