Free Email Updates
I work in Advertising Operations at Zillow, but LOVE microfinance. I'm always interested in startups, especially non-profits, reach out to me if you're working on anything cool!
Hi, I'm a microfinance blogger who is generally interested in the field of microfinance from a theoretical and practical point of view.
Katherine is a recent graduate from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo where she studied International Business and French. She is currently working at a private equity firm in the San Francisco Bay Area. Katherine loves to travel, and recently spent her summer volunteering in Mauritius.
Jason is from Bellingham, Massachusetts, a small suburb between Providence and Boston. He is currently enrolled as an undergraduate student majoring in international business at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. After working in the commercial and personal loan industry he became interested in microfinancing. When Jason is not working or attending school, he is interested in Boston-based sports teams, meeting new people, and spending time with family and friends. After graduation he plans to work in the personal finance industry while earning his MBA.
- Mustard Seed Fund on Microfinance Jobs: International Development Coordinator
- Moses on Microfinance Lending Platforms
- Smokey on Vittana Lands a New CEO – Robin Wolaner
Published By Jerry Ostradicky on March 7, 2013
“About the Organization:
FINCA International, one of the world’s leading MFIs, provides financial services to more than 950,000 clients through 21 wholly-owned and operated subsidiaries in Africa, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Greater Middle East.
About the Job:
FINCA International is looking for a Director of Communications to be based in Washington, D.C. S/he will be responsible for managing and directing FINCA’?s internal and external communications. S/he will manage the reputation of FINCA and its Subsidiaries, and enhance the visibility of the organization within the microfinance industry and in the larger public.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develops, implements, and reports on a strategy to position the organization as a leader in the microfinance and in the social enterprise sector.
- Develops, implements, and reports on a strategy to position the CEO as a thought leader, in collaboration with the Senior Manager for Executive Advocacy.
- Leads the development of FINCA’s external communications strategy, ensuring via Communications Working Group that core messages are in alignment with FINCA’s branding and marketing messages and strategies.
- Leads external communication plans, PR strategies and message development for FINCA, again, ensuring alignment with FINCA’s branding, marketing and fundraising strategies.
- Responsible for executing a proactive strategy using a variety of communications channels, including domestic and international channels.
- Generates compelling thought pieces positioning the organization as an industry leader, and ensures consistent messaging through all organizational communications.
- In collaboration with Human Resources and Knowledge Management, develops, implements, and reports on FINCA’s internal communications strategy, ensuring appropriate engagement with all internal stakeholders, including staff, board members and shareholders.
- Leads internal communication plans in collaboration via Communications Working Group with senior leadership, the Executive Office, Human Resources and Knowledge Management.
- Creates innovative mechanisms to facilitate network-wide communication and strengthen employee understanding and buy-in of key strategies and initiatives. Maintains organization and CEO visibility in the market and amongst industry professional organizations.
- Identifies and leverages communications opportunities that will increase organizational visibility, and enhance the organization’s reputation, key messages, and thought leadership with external audiences.
- Identifies target audiences and develops appropriate messages – in line with FINCA’s overall brand – to improve FINCA’s visibility and position FINCA as a thought leader.
- Monitors situations that may adversely impact FINCA’s business reputation, and, as situations require, recommends and develops an appropriate communications response. Manages relationships with external agencies and media organizations (both traditional and social media outlets) to ensure outstanding coverage for FINCA and its CEO.
- Develops and reviews content, including extensive writing/editing of promotional, traditional and social media and network communications materials.
- Pitches stories to media through personal emails, phone calls and in-person meetings. Creates and maintains solid relationships with key press contacts covering key issues of concern.
- Secures placements for op-eds, letters-to-the-editor, blog postings, and other social media placements. Manages media relations, continually identifying partnership and publicity opportunities.
- Establishes and chairs communications working group to ensure strategic and messing alignment among key FINCA stakeholders.
- Develops and manages internal and external communications strategy. Develops and manages annual communications budget and operating plan.
- Develops innovative and compelling messaging, adjusted to appropriate internal and external target audiences and in line with organizational brand, in collaboration with marketing communications team.
- Secures and manages high-profile media and publicity opportunities for FINCA. Working with the senior manager for executive advocacy, secures high-profile media and publicity opportunities for the CEO.
- Drafts and/or reviews FINCA internal communications, including emails, reports and presentations.
- Writes papers, op-eds, letters-to-the-editor, blog entries, talking points and fact sheets.
- Writes and manages production of annual report for FINCA microfinance holdings.
- Master’s degree (M. A.) or equivalent.
- More than 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- See more“
Source: Microfinance Gateway