Free Email Updates
Hi, I'm a finance blogger who is interested in how different financial tools, including microfinance, can deliver real value to consumers.
Kiva Small Business Advisor for the Greater Seattle area. Reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Currently a Master of Public Administration (MPA) student at Bowling Green State. University in Bowling Green, Ohio, USA. Specializing in International Development with focus on sub-Saharan Africa.
I work in Advertising Operations at Zillow, but LOVE microfinance. I'm always interested in startups, especially non-profits, reach out to me if you're working on anything cool!
Published By Jerry Ostradicky on November 25, 2012
“About the Organization:
Opportunity International provides small business loans, savings, insurance, and training to over two million people working their way out of poverty in the developing world. Clients in various countries use these services to expand a business, provide for their families, create jobs for their neighbors, and build a safety net for the future. Opportunity International’s mission is to empower people to work their way out of poverty, transforming their lives, their children’?s futures, and their communities.
About the Job:
Opportunity International is looking for a Program Manager. S/he will provide management oversight on grants from the Caterpillar Foundation and other major donors to ensure project objectives are met and funds are accounted for completely and accurately.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Set up new Caterpillar project and other major donor projects, including participating in development of project plan and budget, creating project tracking sheets, developing a memorandum of understanding, creating work orders, coordinating internal project accounting, developing a funds transfer schedule, and defining reporting requirements;
- Monitor program performance, including the coordination of monthly project management calls with the in-country leadership and field trips, tracking for variance and intervening to address program issues. Serve as knowledge manager for assigned projects;
- Monitor program budgets using tracking sheets, review accounting budget reports, report variances, negotiate budget adjustments;
- Participate in annual budgeting process and perform funding analysis to determine funding to be transferred to implementing banks and partners during the year. On an ongoing basis, tracks funding received and manages transfers against budget;
- Serve as the point person for Opportunity-US, GMO staff and MFI staff concerning program and financial matters related to the Caterpillar project and other assigned private and technical projects;
- Assist in proposal development on an as needed basis.
- Bachelor degree, preferably MBA or MSA;
- Minimum of 3 years experience in project management;
- Minimum 2 to 3 years of accounting experience;
- Excellent written communication skills;
- Experience with database reporting and accounting software, preferably Blackbaud software (Raiser’s Edge/Financial Edge);
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail and accuracy;
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills;
- Diplomacy, good judgment and ability to work across different cultures;
- Discernment to determine dissemination of confidential or sensitive field information to various groups;
- Ability to work well under the pressure of deadlines;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment;
- Willing to travel 10-15% of the time (domestic and international);
- Fluency in Spanish or Portuguese desired.”
Source: Microfinance Gateway